Arsonists will not stop firework show

Up in smoke: Last year's organisers, Brian King , Mark Hodges and Nick Ormerod.
Up in smoke: Last year's organisers, Brian King , Mark Hodges and Nick Ormerod.

Organisers behind one of Leyland’s biggest events say they are determined to go ahead with this year’s show, despite arsonists threatening to put a stop to it.

The annual firework show, which is arranged by Leyland Round Table, suffered a massive blow last year when yobs torched two caravans being hired by the group on Worden Park.

The attack cost around £12,000 to fix - almost half of what was raised on the night.

The money raised goes to local charities and is ploughed back into the next event, on November 5.

This led to fears this year’s event may be scaled down, or may not go ahead at all.

But organisers say they won’t let the actions of yobs put a stop to an otherwise successful event.

Simon Damp, chairman of Leyland Round Table, said: “The damage last year hindered our ability to give to as many local charities this year.

“But for us it was a case of not wanting to stop it just because of that one incident.

“We don’t want to spoil what has been a fantastic event.

“We pride ourselves on it going each year and we want it to be bigger and better than ever.”

The caravans which were set alight were being used as office as hospitality areas. Police believe a gang of youths dragged benches across the park in the early hours of the morning after the display and placed them near the remains of the bonfire.

They then threw fire extinguishers and crash barriers on the fire before breaking into the two caravans and setting fire to them.

Mr Damp says measures will be put in place to try and make sure last year’s attack will not be repeated.

He said: “The only difference this year is that we won’t leave the caravans there again. We expected they would be fine and they got torched during the night. We will just take them off site after the event and move to a secure compound.”