Dad dies after drug overdose

0
Have your say

A devoted dad from Leyland died after accidentally overdosing on drugs.

Peter Dyson, 44, from St Clements Avenue in Farington, was found collapsed at his home and later died in hospital.

An inquest last week heard how Mr Dyson had a long-term problem with drugs and in the weeks leading up to his death, on January 1, had suffered from a severe chest infection.

And it was this underlying illness which contributed to his sudden death, leaving behind five children.

His wife Surinder, who had been married to him for 24 years, said: “We are heartbroken.

“He was a great dad and he was devoted to his children. He was dearly loved and will certainly be missed by us all.”

The inquest at Preston Coroners Court (pictured) heard how Mr Dyson had collapsed at his home on New Year’s Day and was rushed to Royal Preston Hospital.

He regained consciousness for a short time, telling doctors he had taken a ‘large quantity’ of drugs, before passing away.

Giving evidence, consultant pathologist Dr Mark Pitt said: “Mr Dyson was known to have been taking drugs intravenously for a number of years.

“He had a severe chest infection affecting the base of both lungs, as well as an acute fatty liver.

“There was a high concentration of morphine in his blood which was within the range where fatalities have been recorded, even in people with some tolerance to opium drugs.

“There was a lot of inflammation of the lungs and that group of people are more likely to get bad chest infections because often they won’t seek help.”

The court heard how Mr Dyson had been staying in a downstairs room in the family home in the week leading up to his death because he had been feeling unwell.

When police searched the room they found a metal ladle with burn marks, as well as a small bag of brown powder.

Recording a verdict of misadventure, coroner Simon Jones said Mr Dyson’s underlying health problems made it hard for his body to deal with a very high level of morphine.

He said: “Mr Dyson was a long-standing drug user who collapsed at home.

“He was taken to hospital where he admitted taking a large quantity of drugs.

“The level of morphine was so high that it was the doctor’s view it was this that caused Mr Dyson’s death, contributed by his bronchial pneumonia.”