Demolition firm pulls out of plans

Leyland's eyesore: The Shadh takeaway on Chapel Brow started crumbling three years ago. It has since been boarded up, but plans to sort it out for good are now on hold
Leyland's eyesore: The Shadh takeaway on Chapel Brow started crumbling three years ago. It has since been boarded up, but plans to sort it out for good are now on hold
0
Have your say

The company tasked with demolishing Leyland’s notorious eyesore takeaway has sensationally backed out of the plans.

Ian Tomlinson, from IBT Contracting, said he was ‘fed up’ of waiting for the owner of the Chapel Brow building to present him with the necessary documents for the work to start.

The Preston-based firm signed up for the project to pull down the former Shadh Indian takeaway a few months ago, and South Ribble Council gave the go-ahead for the demolition work to start.

Mr Tomlinson even visited residents and businesses in the area around three weeks ago to speak to them about the plans, and showed them blueprints of how the proposed new takeaway would look once the work was complete.

But he has revealed to the Guardian that the company has now decided to pull out of the plans.

He said: “We’ve been waiting for an asbestos report as well as other things from the building’s owner, but we’ve been waiting too long and I’m not prepared to put any more money or time into this project.

“The owner came to us a few months ago and we were set to start a few weeks ago.

“We had to push it back to last Monday, but we still didn’t have the documents we needed, and we’re getting fed up of being messed about.”

He added: “The council wants the building to be pulled down and so do people in the area.

“We put a couple of hundred pounds into this, doing things like site surveys, and I’m not prepared to do any more I’m afraid.”

The takeaway became unstable three years ago when a sewer collapsed beneath it.

A new owner reportedly took over the building earlier this year, which is when an application was put to the council for the demolition work to be approved.

South Ribble Council’s cabinet member for Strategic Planning and Housing, Coun Cliff Hughes, said: “I’m very disappointed to hear that the demolition contractor has pulled out, but I can’t blame them and I’m not at all surprised, given the constant rebuffing of the council’s own attempts to help find a solution so far.

“Last week I wrote to the owners expressing my deep concern and urging them to meet us.

“This latest development means that it is now even more important to discuss this face-to-face as soon as possible.

“If the owner is reading this, I strongly suggest they get in touch so we can sort this out amicably.”

The Guardian has been unable to contact the owner.