Family home is wrecked by fire

Fire at Seven Stars Road, Leyland, on November 20, 2013. Caused by leaving cooking unattended
Fire at Seven Stars Road, Leyland, on November 20, 2013. Caused by leaving cooking unattended
0
Have your say

A family will not be allowed back home until the new year following a fire which destroyed their house last week.

A mother and son have been re-housed by Progress Housing after a blaze damaged their home in Seven Stars Road in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Fire crews were called to the semi-detached house just after midnight after some cooking was left unattended in the kitchen.

The smoke and fire damage, affecting the whole house, will take the housing association between six and eight weeks to clean up.

Next door neighbour Wendy Carr, 50, said: “The woman who lives there has a 15-year-old son and we let them in our house during the night.

“She was in shock more than anything.

“I feel so sorry for her; it’s a really bad time of year for this to happen, and she’s nothing left. Everything has been damaged by the smoke.

“I just think it’s really sad.

“She has a daughter as well, who lives somewhere else with her three little children, and she’s just going to have to start from scratch now.”

Bernie Keenan, executive director for housing, community and support services at Progress Housing, said: “Our 24-hour control centre received a call from the fire service at 1am, and we were quickly at the scene to support the tenant and her son.

“We are relieved that no one in the property or neighbouring homes was harmed by the fire. The works to repair and redecorate the house are expected to take up to eight weeks to complete.

“We have found the family temporary accommodation in Leyland until the work at their home is finished.”