Thriving and busy community town

Shopping: plenty to offer in Lostock Hall
Shopping: plenty to offer in Lostock Hall

Lostock Hall is a predominantly residential town with a thriving community.

It boasts a pleasant, pedestrianised shopping area at Tardy Gate, and a selection of public houses, restaurants and clubs.

A number of playing fields, recreation grounds and children’s play areas are scattered throughout the town. There are also tennis courts and for the less sporty a library and famous brass band, which accepts new members.

There are a number of churches in the town, which offer busy social calendars.

As far as education is concerned Lostock Hall has two primary schools, Our Lady and St Gerard’s RC School, which is affiliated to Our Lady and St Gerard’s Church, and Lostock Hall Community Primary School. Secondary education is conducted at Moor Hey School and Lostock Hall Community High School. Pupils wishing to enter further education must travel outside the town.

There are employment opportunities in the town, but many residents travel to the nearby towns and cities to work.

Lostock Hall is located between Bamber Bridge and Penwortham to the south of Preston. It offers extremely easy access to both the M65, M6 and the main A6 to Preston in the north and Chorley in the south, and the town has a railway

station. The East Lancashire Line on which the station stands is frequently used by railway companies as a bypass for the main West Coast Main Line when that is being closed for engineering works, as it links with the Settle-Carlisle Line. For this reason, excursions frequently travel through the station, attracting railway enthusiasts to the many ideal viewing places.

The town has a thriving community. One regular event is the Lostock Hall Carnival which this year was held on June 30, one of the increasingly few summer 2012 events to escape cancellation due to extreme wet weather. Lostock Hall traces its origins to James de Lostock who in 1212 built Lostock’s Hall in the then rural area of Cuerden Green in the township of Walton-le-Dale. A settlement expanded outwards from Lostock’s Hall, taking its name from the Hall. St Catherine’s Hospice is now on the site of the Hall. The former separate community of Tardy Gate is now for all intents and purposes a part of Lostock Hall - it used to be the farming community linking one part of rural Lancashire to another. The town has had a relatively uneventful history, however in October 1940 the town experienced its blackest moment when a German bomber looking for Leyland Motors

dropped a bomb on Ward Street and Princes Street killing 25 people.