Around 250 soldiers from The King’s Royal Hussars (KRH), many of them from Lancashire, will march through Leyland this week to mark their safe return from service in Afghanistan.
The homecoming parade will take place on Saturday, November 10, the day before Remembrance Sunday.
The Regiment, which was honoured with the Freedom of South Ribble in 1992, recruits from the North West but is based in Tidworth, Wiltshire.
It recently returned from a six month tour based around Lashkar Gah.
Lieutenant Colonel Alex Potts, Commanding Officer of The King’s Royal Hussars, said: “We are delighted to be having a homecoming parade in the North West, and Leyland in particular.
“Most of our soldiers are from the region and the whole Regiment is always made to feel at home whenever we visit.
“Our tour in Afghanistan has been a team effort, the servicemen and women deployed to Helmand rely heavily on the support of their families and friends in Tidworth and in the North West.
“We have been spoiled in that regard and our parade is a wonderful opportunity for the serving soldiers of the Regiment to thank the good people of Leyland for their support during a most challenging year.”
Coun Colin Clark, the Mayor of South Ribble, added: “We are enormously pleased to have the King’s Royal Hussars as Honorary Freemen of our borough, and it will be a real pleasure and a privilege to welcome them home following their recent tour of duty in Afghanistan.
“This is a very special occasion for me personally, on what promises to be a poignant weekend.
“I’m sure the town will again be out in force to thank and cheer on this famous old regiment, of which we are all so proud.”
Saturday’s parade plans:
- 11am - Soldiers arrive and form up at Civic centre car park, West Paddock, Leyland
- 11.30am - Soldiers march off for parade around Leyland town centre (route to be confirmed on the day)
- 12.05pm - Parade ends at the Civic Centre car park
Sunday’s service plans:
- 9.30am - The Mayor of South Ribble will arrive at the Civic Centre, West Paddock, Leyland, for the annual Remembrance Sunday Parade
- 11.45am - Service at St Mary’s RC Church, Broadfield Drive, Leyland