Thug bit charity man’s ear off

GUILTY PLEA: Deni Fisher
GUILTY PLEA: Deni Fisher

A thug who bit part of a man’s ear off as he collected money for a cancer charity has avoided a prison sentence.

Deni Fisher, 21, pleaded guilty to causing wounding with intent to his victim, who was dressed in a Superman top to raise funds following his father’s death from cancer.

But despite causing savage and lasting injuries to the man, Fisher has been spared jail and handed a 15-month suspended sentence.

Speaking after the sentence hearing, the victim’s mother said: “It is disgusting. (Biting) is what toddlers do.”

Preston Crown Court heard Fisher was part of a group of people celebrating a 21st birthday party at The Crofters pub in Leyland on January 27 last year.

At the same time, a group of revellers in fancy dress set out to collect cash for the Macmillan nurses with collection buckets.

The evening was going well with more than £500 going towards the cause.

But when the group walked into the Crofters, Fisher became angry and aggressive, telling the group to leave and saying: “I don’t want to hear about cancer.”

However, the court heard the incident quickly escalated and when police arrived, a brawl, involving several people, had spilled out onto the street.

In the fracas that followed, the man was bitten to the top of his ear with part of it coming completely off.

He was taken to Royal Preston Hospital where he underwent reconstructive surgery but he now has a small dent where the ear could not be fully reconstructed.

Fisher, of Robin Hey, Leyland, initially denied the offence but changed his plea to guilty on the day he was due to stand trail.

In the time between the attack and Fisher’s sentence the victim’s mother was also diagnosed with cancer and is still receiving treatment.

She said: “It had been such a good night. We had lost my husband to cancer and we were collecting in his name. Fisher had just learned of his mother’s illness and was so angry. He was trying to fall out with everybody who came into the pub.

“It just kicked off and my son got the worst of it.”

Fisher was handed a 15-month sentence suspended for two years and has been placed on a curfew between 9pm and 6am for six months.

Recorder Nicholas Clarke, sentencing, said: “I appreciate this is a significant infringement of your liberty. It is meant to be. You can not go around committing violence, whatever the provocation.”