Hundreds of people witnessed the special unveiling of a new monument to commemorate a part of Leyland’s history this weekend.
The Farington Mill Garden project, which cost around £30,000, saw a forgotten corner of Farington transformed into a distinctive memorial feature, recalling the toughest times in the village’s history.
A 12-foot replica of a cotton shuttle, and seats in the form of old cotton reels, are the focal points of the new community garden at the corner of Mill Street and Stanifield Lane, which marks the 150th anniversary of the Lancashire Cotton Famine.
Locals including historian Joan Langford and children at Farington Primary School came up with the concept for the garden, and turned to Farington Parish Council to push the idea forward.
The garden, which was funded by the parish council, Lancashire Environmental Fund, Lancashire County Council and South Ribble Council, was unveiled on Sunday following a service of dedication atSt Ambrose Church.
After the service, the Charnock Richard Brass Band led the people of Farington – including the village’s oldest resident and guest of honour, 101-year-old Amy Dugdale – along Stanifield Lane to the garden.
The commemoration and dedication service concluded with the singing of the Doxology, a hymn sung by the people of Farington when cotton returned in 1864.
A time capsule was also buried containing items contributed by people from Farington, including a book detailing the history of Farington Mill, a Farington School prospectus, a scarf and badges from St Ambrose Scouts, and many other donated items.