How a rape claim ruined man’s life

PHOTO: NEIL CROSS'Robert Green, 23, has told how his life was ruined when he was accused of rape
PHOTO: NEIL CROSS'Robert Green, 23, has told how his life was ruined when he was accused of rape

A South Ribble man has spoken about how being accused of rape has ruined his life.

Robert Green, from Bamber Bridge, got a knock on his door at 3.30am and was terrified to find police waiting or him.

The officers explained that he had been accused of raping a teenage girl, and he was being arrested.

Terrified and astonished, he listened as officers outlined the allegations, before taking him to the police station.

He was put into a cell and the next day, he was interviewed and bailed, all the time protesting that, while he knew the girl in question, he had had no physical contact whatsoever with the alleged victim.

Seven months on, the case has been dropped after police said there was insufficient evidence to progress it. He was never charged with any offence.

But the 23-year-old, who lives with his parents Malcolm, 49, and Debbie, 46, in Bamber Bridge, says he has been left to pick up the pieces of his shattered life, claiming the ordeal has left him unable to gain good employment.

“I am constantly down, I have had argument after argument with my family. I want to get back on my feet, but what job am I going to get with this on my record?

“I will end up doing a dead-end job for the rest of my life,” explains the former Lostock Hall High School pupil.

“When this happened, I was due to start doing my SIA (security guard) qualification, and it has ruined that.

“I came home one night in January, watched TV and went to sleep. I was woken up by a loud banging at 3.30 in the morning, and it was the police who arrested me on suspicion of rape. I was just thinking, ‘What is going on here?’”

After being questioned and released, he says the case affected him so much he even made an attempt to take his own life, just before he was due to answer bail in March.

He added: “Before I was due to go back for bail in March, I went out drinking, and came back and just started taking tablets. That’s how much it had an effect on me, I didn’t know what was going on.

“It was only my mate ringing me up and saying, ‘What are you doing?’ She came round and found me collapsed. She told my dad, and they called an ambulance.”

A spokesman for Lancashire police confirmed the case has not been proceeded because of insufficient evidence, adding that if Mr Green was unhappy with how the case has been handled by police, he should discuss his concerns with them.