‘I can’t thank them enough’

Steve Waterhouse, right, with his sister Jay and her son Jake.
Steve Waterhouse, right, with his sister Jay and her son Jake.
Share this article

A family has said a heartfelt ‘thank you’ to an unknown good Samaritan who alerted police after a man had suddenly collapsed in the street.

Sadly the man, Steve Waterhouse, 55, later died in hospital.

But his family explained that the caring actions of the quick-thinking passer-by, who flagged down a passing police vehicle, had meant they could get together and be at Stephen’s bedside up to his final moments.

Steve’s sister Jay Nicholas, 50, of Fox Lane, Leyland, explained: “My brother lived with me in Fox Lane.

“He was found by a member of the public by the magistrates’ court at Leyland and was near collapse.

“That member of the public flagged down a police car and alerted the police.

“A policeman phoned an ambulance. My brother was very poorly at that stage.

“He was taken to Chorley Hospital and subsequently transferred to Royal Preston Hospital – where he died two days after being admitted.

“Tragically, he had multiple organ failure and two days later we had to make the heartbreaking decision to turn off his life-support machine.

“They worked hard to save his life, but devastatingly, there was nothing else that could have been done to save him.

Jay said: “I really want to say thank you to the person who found him because if it hadn’t been for them he wouldn’t have had his family around him when he died.

“I can’t thank them enough for giving us, his family, the time together and spending the last few hours with him.

“It gave me time to get his eldest son, Liam, up from Essex and younger son, Ewan, from Derbyshire.”

Steve grew up in Leyland, but left in his late teens. He moved to Derbyshire where he became a youth worker.

He met his partner Dawn when he was doing summer work in Skegness and moved to Chesterfield with her.

He stayed in Chesterfield for more than 20 years and later moved to Liverpool where he continued his youth work.

The worked first with the nationally-recognised Interchill Youth project and then with Liverpool City Council.

His outstanding work with Liverpool Youth Service was recognised when he personally received an award for his dedication and commitment.

There have been many tributes paid to him on social media where he is repeatedly referred to as ‘inspirational’.

A friend and colleague of Steve’s said: “He made the lives of hundreds, probably thousands, of young people in the city better and was hugely respected”.

Steve lived with his most recent partner and her son, Joel, for more than 10 years in Liverpool before moving in with his sister Jay 15 months ago.

He had been poorly for a short while.

Jay said: “He was an inspirational and very thoughtful person.

“He was a champion of young people and encouraged their creative abilities.

“He loved music and was very well known for encouraging and inspiring young musicians in the local community.

“Steve also loved football and was a season ticket holder at Liverpool FC.

“He passionately fought injustice and dedicated his live to improving the lives of vulnerable people everywhere.

“I am hugely proud of all that my brother achieved and am devastated by his death.”

Steve Waterhouse’s funeral will be held on Tuesday, February 23, in Liverpool.