A village’s eagerly-awaited new war memorial and garden was officially launched with a service of dedication and unveiling on Sunday.
Attended by a whole host of invited guests, the ceremony at Farington Park honoured and commemorated the 55 men from the village who lost their lives in the First World War.
The service was conducted by Rev Duncan Clarke, of St Ambrose Church Leyland, and included prayers from the special war service prepared for use throughout the country in February 1915.
The unveiling was performed by Col Alan Jolley OBE, TD, DL, Vice-Lieutenant of Lancashire, followed by the reading out of the names of all 55 men.
While their names were read, 55 poppies – made by six students at Balshaw’s CE High School, Leyland – were ‘planted’, each one with the name and details of an individual soldier engraved on it.
Among the first to place their poppies were descendants of six of the young men.
Until now there has been nowhere where all of these village men were recorded and honoured together – some are named on the stained glass window high up at St Paul’s Church, together with men from Lostock Hall and Bamber Bridge.
Some are included on the memorial plaque at St Ambrose Church, together with others from Leyland. A few are on the Tardy Gate memorial and a number are named on the main Church Road Leyland memorial.
Earlier this month, a time capsule containing a book about the men, Farington a Lancashire.