A Leyland primary school is celebrating this week after being awarded the ‘Outstanding’ accolade by Ofsted.
Moss Side Primary has been praised by the education watchdog for being ‘outstanding’ in all areas of school life, which includes the achievement of pupils, the quality of teaching, behaviour and safety of pupils, and the school’s leadership and management.
Headteacher of the Paradise Lane school, Janis Burdin, was described by Ofsted as being ‘inspirational’ and ‘passionate’, and says she is delighted with the results.
“It’s the third time we’ve been given ‘Outstanding’, which I think is quite an achievement,” she said.
“We’re delighted that under the new framework, which we believe to be more rigorous, we have still been judged to be ‘Outstanding’.
“It’s a reflection of all the hard work from staff, the behaviour and attitude to learning from our pupils, and support from parents.
“It’s fair to say we’re very pleased.”
Some of the highlights of the Ofsted report, which was published last week, include:
- This is a happy and caring school where pupils thrive in their personal and academic development.
- Pupils make rapid progress from their starting points and reach standards in reading, writing and mathematics that are consistently well above average.
- Teaching is of a consistently high quality. Teachers have high expectations of all pupils who they know exceptionally well. Work is set at just the right level of difficulty to meet the needs and interests of all pupils.
- Highly skilled teaching assistants are used very well to help individuals and groups of pupils make the best possible progress.
- Pupils say they are proud of their school and really enjoy learning. This is reflected in their well above average attendance. Their behaviour is excellent and they feel safe.
- The curriculum provides many exciting and memorable learning experiences for the pupils. A wide range of clubs, visits, visitors and residential trips provide excellent support to the outstanding learning experiences on offer.
- The curriculum is particularly strong in its support for sport, music and the arts.
- The inspirational headteacher has been highly effective in ensuring that the outstanding practice seen at the last inspection has been sustained. Her passionate desire to make sure that the needs of pupils are always at the heart of all the school does ensures that there is no complacency.
- All staff and governors share a commitment to make the school the very best it can be. The headteacher receives exceptional support from the very able assistant headteacher.
- The school has excellent relationships with parents and the wider community.
- Governors provide highly effective support and challenge in holding the school to account and in ensuring that outstanding teaching and learning is maintained at all times.