Sharks captured in hunt for killer

Gemma and Ian Redmond on their honeymoon in the Seychelles
Gemma and Ian Redmond on their honeymoon in the Seychelles
Share this article

Fishermen in the Seychelles believe they may have caught the sharks that killed a Leyland worker.

Two tiger sharks were reeled in by locals over the weekend that are said to be around the right size to have killed Ian Redmond, an IT consultant at Cegedim RX in Moss Side.

Mr Redmond, 30, who married sweetheart Gemma Houghton, 27, at St Michael’s Church in Wigan earlier this month, was fatally injured in an attack while snorkelling at Anse Lazio beach in Praslin days before the end of their holiday.

Gemma later told how she was powerless to help after hearing her husband’s screams from the beach.

Investigators removed a shark’s tooth from the body of the British tourist, who died on the island of Praslin, so are in a good position to identify the fish responsible.

A source close to the bid to track down the shark said this is the first time the “right kind” of creature has been caught.

The source said: “One was a large tiger caught around two miles from the beach which could easily have caused his terrible wounds. But this cannot be confirmed until further checks.”

Earlier this week, experts suggested the shark that attacked Mr Redmond could have been a great white.

His death came just weeks after French visitor Nicolas Virolle was also killed by a shark while on a break in the same area. No warnings were issued after the first attack.

Jean Toussiant of Seychelles Police said: “There is no indication these are the sharks responsible. They will be taken away to be examined.”

Mr Redmond, a 30-year-old IT Specialist, was a keen cyclist and like his new wife, shared a passion for the outdoors.

They had just bought a house and were in the middle of renovating it.

Last week Mrs Redmond returned to the country and, dressed in black, spent 45 minutes collecting a few treasured keepsakes, including photographs and clothes, from the house.

She was comforted by her mum and dad Coleta and David Houghton. She then went to her parents’ home in nearby Dalton.

Mr Redmond’s funeral took place at St Michael’s Church this week - less than a month after he was married in the same church.

A huge number of family friends, work colleagues and villagers turned out to pay their respects at the service.