Woman killed as car mounts kerb

Sumner Street in Leyland
Sumner Street in Leyland

A woman has been killed after she was hit by a car that mounted a town centre pavement.

The 53-year old was knocked down as she stepped out of a charity shop in Leyland yesterday afternoon.

Police are now appealing for witnesses to what onlookers described as a “dreadful” incident.

Emergency services including firefighters, police, paramedics and the air ambulance raced to the scene on Sumner Street, but the woman was pronounced dead.

The incident took place at about 1pm, when a gold Nissan Qashqai mounted the pavement and collided with the woman as she stepped from the St Catherine’s shop doorway.

The driver of the vehicle, a 79-year-old woman, was unharmed.

The road remained closed for several hours on Monday afternoon and police launched an investigation into the circumstances.

PC James Power from the road policing unit said: “An investigation is underway but I would appeal to anybody that witnessed this collision or with any information that could assist with our investigation to contact police on 101.”

One witness, who lives close to the scene but asked not to be named, said she saw events unfold as she looked out of her window.

She said: “The car came up the path and the woman stepped out of the shop and went under the car. The impact was horrible. We rang the police and ambulance and fire brigade but there was nothing we could do. It’s horrible. It’s just so unlucky - you don’t expect to step out of a shop and be mown down. And you definitely don’t expect to look out of your window and see that either.”

The woman said she heard a bang and said: “I felt mortified. It’s hard to explain it, I can’t put it into words.” Georgina Davies, of Sumner Street, said: “I heard a scream outside and thought there’s been an accident. It was when the sirens started I came out to see what was going on.”

Patricia Whaite said: “It’s dreadful what’s happened.”

An ambulance spokesman said they were called just after 1pm and sent an ambulance, a rapid response vehicle, a helicopter and two managers.

The spokesman said two elderly patients were taken to Royal Preston Hospital and were being treated for shock.