Bamber Bridge fight back to grab a point

Goalscorer Louis Mayers
Goalscorer Louis Mayers
Share this article

Curzon Ashton 2

Bamber Bridge 2

After losing their last three games in the First Division North, Bamber Bridge fought back from 2-0 down against high-flying Curzon Ashton on Saturday to grab a point.

The game looked all but over for the South Ribble side as early as the seventh minute when Curzon took a 2-0 lead.

However, a spirited second-half performance, saw Brig almost take all three points with their hosts hanging on for dear life in the closing stages of the game.

A fearful error, by the usually dependable Bamber Bridge goalkeeper Ben Hinchliffe, in the third minute gave Curzon a dream start. He inexplicably lost possession just outside the area, and Chris McDonagh took full advantage to roll the ball gently into the empty net.

Four minutes later, the home side doubled their lead when Daniel Broadbent knocked in a cross from McDonagh.

Curzon attacked remorselessly and full-back Joseph Evans almost made it three for the home side on 20 minutes when his header shaved the top of the crossbar following a fine cross by skipper David Birch. It took until just beyond the half-hour mark for the visitors to get in their first meaningful effort on goal.

Curzon goalkeeper, Chamberlin Fankem, who was making his debut for the home side, bravely blocked a Luke Atherton shot on the goal-line, following an Alistair Waddecar corner-kick.

In a rare moment of respite on 35 minutes, Brig nearly caught the Curzon defence off guard when Fankem made an excellent save at the back post from a Matthew Atherton header following a well directed cross from, arguably, Brig’s man of the match, full-back, George Bowyer.

Tony Greenwood took advantage of the interval to rejuvenate and reorganise his shattered troops and they were, ultimately, to respond in the grand fashion.

Curzon however, came out after the break and immediately took up where they had left off – on the offensive.

Hinchliffe saved a Steven Moor header at full-stretch at the back post on 47 minutes after another excellent cross by Evans.

That was the signal for a fightback from the visitors, which started when Peter Wright’s headed ‘goal’was chalked off for an offside after 73 minutes.

Two minutes later they did score when Wright played in youngster Louis Mayers, who scored off the post.

Within a minute they equalised when Wright hooked the ball home through a ruck of defenders to set up a grandstand finish.

Bamber Bridge: Hinchliffe, Bowyer, Clark, L Atherton, White, Jones, M Atherton (Mayers 63mins), Galliers (Marlow 57mins), Wright, Waddecar, Williams (Crowder 77mins). Unused Sub : Reynolds.