Burrows to the rescue as Wren make it tough

Liam Hayton wins a header against Blackpool Wren Rovers
Liam Hayton wins a header against Blackpool Wren Rovers
Share this article

Premier Division champions Charnock Richard were held to a 1-1 draw against nearest rivals Blackpool Wren Rovers on Saturday.

Games between the two sides are always a tasty affair and Saturday was no different.

A depleted Charnock side made the trip to the Fylde coast and after an even first half, they fell behind to a Danny Morris strike five minutes into the second half.

But the visitors toiled away and, midway through the second half, they grabbed a deserved equaliser when recalled striker David Burrows found the net on 74 minutes.

Charnock, who were without five regular players, had the better of the opening exchanges as Alex Randall shot wide and Jack Bennett twice saw efforts cleared off the line.

And Bennett was in the action shortly after as he shot wide from Damian Dashti’s cross, then the prolific Carl Grimshaw had a goal disallowed for offside.

Despite dominating the opening stages, that was as good as it got for the Villagers as Wren Rovers took control.

Chris Glynn fired wide from a cross while Mick Clark nodded wide at the back post.

Goalkeeper Gavin Bates saved well to deny Morris and at the other end, Mark Smith comfortably saved David Fisher’s edge-of-the-box shot.

The hosts started the second half on the front foot and Bates had to be alert to divert a shot around the post.

Josh Norgate produced a fine sliding challenge to deny Ric Sear but it wasn’t long before the Mossie Park outfit were behind as Morris latched on to Sear’s pass and unleashed a shot which sailed into the top corner.

Wren Rovers were buoyed by their goal, but for all their possession, they failed to test Bates again.

Fisher was replaced by Alex Porter, and the latter’s pace soon caused numerous problems for the Wren Rovers defenders.

Burrows was introduced shortly after and with Charnock posing more of a threat up front, they levelled the scores soon after.

Porter’s excellent chipped pass played through Burrows, and the latter rounded the onrushing Smith and his shot just eluded a scrambling defender to reach the net.

After pulling themselves level, Charnock went through the gears and looked for all three points.

They were first to every ball, and Porter was causing all sorts of problems.

Smith had to tip one tantalising cross over the bar.

And in added time, Smith ensured the points would be shared as he palmed away Porter’s cross.

The two sides meet again tonight, Tuesday, in the semi-final of the Richardson Cup.

The game will be played at the Wateringpool Lane ground of Lostock St Gerard’s, with kick-off at 6.30pm.

This Saturday, Charnock host Crooklands Casuals, with the kick off at 3pm.

n Mark McDonnell’s Euxton Villa ended their Premier Division season with a defeat against Slyne with Hest.

Villa took the lead in the second minute through Dan Morris but two goals in 10 minutes from Matt Murphy and Liam Breslen sealed a 2-1 win.