Carl’s hat-trick such Grim news for hosts

Carl Grimshaw scores his first for Charnock Richard
Carl Grimshaw scores his first for Charnock Richard
Share this article

Goal machine Carl Grimshaw marked his return to the Charnock Richard side with a hat-trick which helped sealed three points for the Mossie Park outfit over Vickerstown.

Michael Imison had given the home side the lead just after 20 minutes.

But three second half goals from Grimshaw and a late strike from Danial Hogg provided a 4-1 success and leaves defending champions Charnock sitting pretty at the top of the Premier Division table.

John Sanderson had the first chance for Charnock, heading over before Liam Hayton cannoned a header against the bar.

Then somewhat against the run of play, Vickerstown took the lead when Dan Keenan whipped a ball into the back post and unmarked was Imison, who powered a header past the helpless Gavin Bates.

The goal was the first Charnock have conceded this


But their confidence was not shaken as they went in search of an equaliser.

Sanderson fired wide at the back post before sub Alex Porter whipped a cross in just before the hour mark and found Grimshaw at the back post ,who made no mistake heading home.

Grimshaw then missed a flurry of chances minutes later after smart work from sub Hogg, who had replaced Sanderson.

Bates was called into action smartly saving down to his right, before Charnock took the lead with 18 minutes remaining as Grimshaw powered home a Porter cross.

Matt Mawdesley then rattled the bar before the deadly duo of Porter and Grimshaw linked up again for the latter to complete his hat-trick.

In the final minute, Grimshaw fed Hogg and from the edge of the area he neatly nestled his shot inside of the post to give the Villagers a comprehensive victory.

n Coppull United registered their first points of the season against Fleetwood Hesketh.

Mitch Leece and Chris Robinson were the Coppull goalscorers but a double from Dave Brooks helped rescue a point for Fleetwood.

n Mark McDonnell’s Euxton Villa side continued their impressive start to the season running out 4-2 winners against Longridge Town.

Villa found themselves 3-0 up at half-time thanks to goals from Byron Andrew, Danny Birkby and Dan Morris.

Danny Marland extended the Villa lead just after the hour mark before Longridge hit back with consolation goals from Dan Walmsley and former Bamber Bridge midfielder Lennie Reid.

Villa started the game with the advantage of a stiff breeze and they enjoyed the bulk of the first 15 minutes, Morris seeing an effort shave the outside of the post.

Midway through the half, Marland sprinted through the back line and looked to be bearing down on goal when he was upended by the goalkeeper just inches outside the penalty area.

Up stepped Andrew hit a sweet free-kick past the goalkeeper to give Villa the lead.

Five minutes later, McDonnell’s side doubled their lead, Birkby latched on to a through ball and keeping his composure he slotted calmly past the goalkeeper.

Villa’s Shaun Gibbs then pulled off a moment of brilliance to keep his goal intact, before a long throw from Andrew found Marland and he squared to Morris who found the back of the net.

Just after the hour mark, Marland got on the scoresheet himself after good work from Birkby.

Walmsley then hit back for Longridge and then Reid scored from close range with 10 minutes left. Despite the late goals the Villa defence looked as solid as every and they secured another win.