Charnock end season with a trophy double

Richardson Cup winners Charnock Richard
Richardson Cup winners Charnock Richard
Share this article

Charnock Richard bagged their second trophy of the season by winning the Richardson Cup last Wednesday night against Fleetwood Hesketh.

In a closely-fought final played at the County Ground in Leyland, Andy Westwell’s side just edged out their Fylde coast opponents 2-1.

Charnock certainly didn’t have it all their own way and they fell behind in the 19th minute when David Brooks stabbed the ball home from close range.

But against the run of play, Charnock hit back, with the prolific Carl Grimshaw expertly heading in David Burrows’ cross.

The Mossie Park outfit looked much better in the second half and they scored the winner with 16 minutes remaining, Grimshaw beating the offside trap to head home from five yards.

Victory for Charnock rounded off a fine season after already being crowned West Lancashire Premier Division champions.

In a bright start, it was Charnock who made the first attack on goal, with Grimshaw firing over from a few yards.

Moments later, Grimshaw came within inches of connecting with a header from a well-executed Damian Dashti free-kick.

Fleetwood responded with John Paul McMullen instigating a fine move which broke down on the edge of the box.

Hesketh were piling on the pressure, midfielders Dave Fisher and Jack Bennett were chasing the game and in the 19th minute, they went ahead.

Gavin Bates made a fine reflex save in the box, but quickest off the mark was Brooks who bundled the loose ball over the line.

In response, Spencer Bibby saw his free-kick well saved while Bates saved well to deny Simon Hill.

Shortly after the half hour, Charnock equalised.

Burrows whipped in a ball from the left and meeting the cross was Grimshaw, whoseheader rebounded off the underside of the bar and in.

Not deterred by the equaliser, Fleetwood continued to look the better of the sides, with Hill unluckily seeing his shot rattle the bar.

But the Villagers stepped it up a gear in the second half.

Josh Norgate fired wide from inside the box and Mark Woods watched his free-kick go just wide too.

Sam Wilkinson then made several saves to deny Grimshaw and Burrows before Charnock netted.

Substitute Alex Porter curled in a cross and beating the offside trap was Grimshaw, who he nodded past the stranded Wilkinson.

Late on, McMullen forced Bates into a save but he was at ease when catching the shot through a crowd of bodies.

n Charnock rounded off their season with a 4-0 victory against Slyne with Hest.

A Grimshaw brace , Andy Roberts and Mark Woods were the scorers.

n Coppull United picked up four points last week.

On Tuesday, they drew 3-3 with Lostock St Gerard’s.

And on Saturday they defeated Crooklands Casuals 2-1, with goals from Lewis Grimshaw and Nathan Fairhurst.