Charnock keep up unbeaten start with ease

Carl Grimshaw scores against Eagley
Carl Grimshaw scores against Eagley

Premier Division title-holders Charnock Richard continued their fine goalscoring form with a 3-0 drubbing of Eagley.

The Mossie Park outfit currently sit second in the table behind rivals Blackpool Wren Rovers.

Club stalwart Andy Roberts gave the home side the lead after eight minutes and that lead was doubled five minutes before the break thanks to the prolific Carl Grimshaw.

Then former Euxton Villa forward Dan Hogg scored with 10 minutes remaining for the home side, and on another day it could easily have been six or seven.

In the first six minutes, Charnock could have been three up, Roberts twice firing wide and then Grimshaw heading over.

However minutes later, they were in front, Jamie Sanderson whipped a ball and Roberts beat the on rushing goalkeeper to the ball to tap in an empty net.

Dave Burrows, Grimshaw and Hogg both then fired wide of goal and for Eagley they produced very little action in the final third.

Five minutes before the break and the lead was extended, Grimshaw latched on to a Porter corner and from five yards he comfortably tapped home. Hogg and John Sanderson spurned further efforts and Burrows had an effort chalked off for offside.

In the second half, Gavin Bates clawed an effort from under the crossbar and at the other end Burrows saw his effort dip over the bar.

Matters were made worse for the visitors when Josh Bowman was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Charnock added to their goal tally when Hogg beat the goalkeeper at his near post, and with minutes remaining substitute Danny Nolan saw his header saved.

n Euxton Villa’s inconsistent start to the season continued as they were beaten 2-1 by table-toppers Blackpool Wren Rovers.

Mark McDonnell’s men were 2-0 down just before the hour mark with goals from Gary Pett and Rick Seear.

Young forward Danny Marland hit back for the visitors and on another day Villa would have grabbed an


Wren should have taken an early lead but early chances were spurned but after 10 minutes, the pressure told as Pett poked him after a goalmouth scramble.

The home side looked the stronger but thanks to some wayward finishing they failed to extend their lead.

The second half started in the same fashion and on hand was Seear who tapped in at the far post.

Marland and Darren Davies were introduced which sparked Villa into life.

The latter slotted home just after the hour mark and then Dave Heald and Dan Morris both had chances.

Dan Birkby forced a last ditch save from Mark Smith and Marland stung the palms of the veteran shot stopper.

Smith then denied Birkby and Byron Andrew before in the final minutes a header was cleared off the line by Wren to deny Villa an equaliser.

n Mitch Leese and Nathan Fairhurst scored as Coppull United defeated Burnley United 2-0.