Kendal Town 1-2 Bamber Bridge

Kendal Town vs. Bamber Bridge
Kendal Town vs. Bamber Bridge
Share this article

Bamber Bridge secured a valuable three points on the road at Kendal Town.

Neil Crowe’s men were full value for the win despite falling behind in the fifth minute.

Former Bamber Bridge striker Danny Wilkins bundling the ball in from two yards after goalkeeper Lee Dovey had pulled off an excellent save in the build up.

Brig equalised in the 18th minute, midfielder Joe Booth bending a spectacular free-kick around the wall and into the top right corner.

The winning goal came in the 63rd minute as defender Kendal defender Ben Thomas headed past goalkeeper Rick Whiteside after being put under pressure by the visitors’ new signing Nicky Platt.

Prior to kick-off, boss Crowe confirmed the signings of midfielder Platt, who last played at Salford City and defender George Bowyer, who has previously played for Brig.

In the fourth minute, Paul McKenna’s free-kick found Paul Alexander at the back post but he was unable to steer his header on target.

Kendal responded and within a minute they took the lead.

Alexander fluffed his clearance, new signing Garry Hunter released Sam Bailey down the right, the winger forced Dovey into an excellent save but the rebound was bundled in by Wilkins.

Brig looked for an immediate reply and Kendal shotstopper Whiteside tipped over Platt’s shot from 30 yards.

Defensively Brig were struggling and on more than one occasion defender Matt Lawlor had to bail out colleague Alexander with several last ditch challenges.

Platt was involved in the action soon after as he shot over after exchanging passes with Booth.

Sam Joel’s pace was causing the Kendal back-line all sorts of problems and he won a free-kick on the edge of the box that led to Brig’s equaliser in the 18th minute.

The Blackburn Rovers loanee was tripped by Hunter, Booth stepped up and superbly curled his free-kick into the top right corner.

Brig were buoyed by their equaliser, they started to pass the ball fluently and several times the ball flashed across the face of goal.

It was a scrappy start to the second half, plenty of the game was played in the middle of the park and neither side created any chances.

Booth attempted to catch Whiteside off his line from 30 yards but the Kendal ‘keeper back pedalled to save well in the 56th minute.

Just after the hour, lady luck was on Brig’s side as they took the lead.

Midfielder Booth sent a diagonal cross aimed at Platt into the box, an onrushing Thomas won the header but inadvertently headed past a stranded Whiteside.

In the 66th minute, Whiteside kept Kendal in the game brilliantly pushing wide Joel’s low shot.

Brig were indebted to Dovey three minutes later, Alexander was caught in possession, Wilkins surged through on goal only to be denied by the Brig shotstopper diving to his right.

Kendal should have equalised in the 74th minute, Wilkins’ deep cross found an unmarked Connerton but he failed to hit the target with his header.

The hosts started to up the ante, substitute Terry Cummings’ shot was blocked in the box and Wilkins had an effort cleared by Lawlor.

Kendal were pushing men forward and in the final 10 minutes both Bailey and Rob Williams shot straight at Dovey.

Bamber Bridge: Dovey, Thompson, Green, Lawlor, Alexander (Bowyer 72), Booth, Platt (Linney 85), McKenna, Vasey, Joel, Marlow (Moss 92)

Subs not used: Kay, Mahoney

Kendal Town: Whiteside, Aspin, Thomas, Forbes (Randall 45), Williams, Smalley (c), Bailey, Hunter, Connerton, Wilkins, Wilson (Cummings 51)

Subs not used: Harrison, Kilifin, Kitchen (GK)

Referee: John Mulligan (Carlisle)