Match report: Bamber Bridge 4-1 Ossett Town

Bamber Bridge secretary George Halliwell, Jon Macken and boss Neil Crowe
Bamber Bridge secretary George Halliwell, Jon Macken and boss Neil Crowe

Bamber Bridge celebrated the signing of former Preston North End striker Jon Macken in style as they recorded an emphatic victory over Ossett Town.

Macken signed on the dotted line for Neil Crowe’s side prior to kick off and he stayed to watch his team-mates seal the three points.

Brig didn’t have it all their own way as they fell behind with just 36 seconds on the clock as Nathan Curtis took advantage of a defensive error to open the scoring.

Almost immediately, Brig equalised in the third minute as Vasey headed home from close range.

Brig took the lead in the 36th minute through Glenn Steel before they added a third two minutes before the hour through Curtis Thompson.

As time went on, Brig started to dominate and Andrew Bell rounded off the scoring 12 minutes from times.

It was an unbelievably quick start at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium as two goals were scored in the opening three minutes.

With just 36 seconds on the clock, Town forward Curtis charged down a Michael Muscat clearance, the rebound fell kindly and he raced away to slot past a helpless Lee Dovey.

Brig immediately looked for a response and with their first attack of the game they found themselves level.

Dead ball specialist Paul McKenna expertly curled in a free-kick, meeting the ball on the full was Vasey and he headed into the corner past Brad Dixon.

Buoyed by their equaliser, Brig continued to attack, full back Chris Marlow shooting over while Dixon saved well to deny Waddecar from eight yards.

Dovey was once again called into action as he unconvincingly palmed wide a 30-yard Ross Armstrong shot while at the other end, Nick Wood hacked clear Bell’s low cross off the line.

With just under 10 minutes remaining before the interval, the home side took advantage of some slack Ossett defending to take the lead.

Vasey’s header rattled the underside of the crossbar, quickest of the mark was Steel and he slammed the rebound in off the bar.

It was a quieter start to the second half as both sides struggled to keep hold of the ball but somewhat against the run of play, Brig bagged a crucial third.

Steel sent forward a long searching ball down the right byline, on his own was Thompson, he collected possession before weaving his way past two defenders inside the area and from an acute angle he struck his shot through the legs of Dixon.

Mistakes started to creep into the Ossett back line, and Dixon had to be quick off the mark to smother a Waddecar effort after he found space inside the area.

After struggling to retain possession throughout the game, Brig’s passing finally started to click and they sealed the points with little over 15 minutes remaining.

Matt Lawlor thundered a header against the bar from a Marlow cross, showing a goal poacher’s instinct was Bell and he prodded home into an empty net from two yards.

Bell was denied a second soon after as the onrushing Dixon saved well before Thompson broke down the right only to see his well struck effort go wide of the near post.

Bamber Bridge: Dovey, Steel, Marlow, Lawlor, Muscat (Alexander 80), Kay (c), Waddecar (Green 76), McKenna, Bell, Thompson, Vasey (Pickup 67)

Unused subs: Reynolds, Barton (gk)

Attendance: 140

Referee: Wade Smith