REPORT: Bamber Bridge 3-1 Ossett Albion

Action from Bamber Bridge (black and white) v Ossett Albion.'Ossett are stranded as Michael Muscat's header comes back off the post.  PIC BY ROB LOCK'4-4-2015
Action from Bamber Bridge (black and white) v Ossett Albion.'Ossett are stranded as Michael Muscat's header comes back off the post. PIC BY ROB LOCK'4-4-2015
Share this article

Bamber Bridge took a huge step towards sealing a play-off place with a fine victory over lowly Ossett Albion.

It was a tale of two halves at the Sir Tom Finney stadium, as Brig romped in three second-half goals to secure a win at home.

The victory saw Brig move up to fourth in the Evo-Stik Division One North.

After a quiet first-half, Brig took the lead in the 48th minute, Danny Mahoney scoring his second penalty in as many games after Curtis Thompson was brought down by Luke Richardson.

Regan Linney scored his first ever goal for Brig shortly after the hour and Stuart Vasey grabbed a deserved goal 15 minutes before the end.

Albion grabbed a consolation goal in the 91st minute as Connor Brunt finished well from inside the box.

In a quiet opening, the hosts had plenty of possession but a lack of quality in the final third saw Albion goalkeeper Brett Souter remain untested.

Brig were indebted to Lee Dovey in the 11th minute as the Brig shotstopper pulled off a fine acrobatic save, pusing wide Adam Jones’ header from a corner.

Midway through the half, Brig skipper Matt Lawlor glanced a header against the post before Thompson shot wide of Souter’s left post.

The hosts started to gain an upper hand, Vasey struck a volley into the side netting and shortly after the half hour, Michael Muscat’s diving header struck the underside off the cross bar before volleying straight at Souter from the rebound.

Souter made his first real save of the game eight minutes before the break, sticking out a leg to deny Ally Waddecar from six yards.

The second-half was just three minutes old before the hosts took the lead.

Latching onto a loose ball from a Waddecar corner was Thompson, with nowhere to go the young midfielder darted into the area, only to be tripped by a stray Richardson leg.

Fullback Mahoney stepped up, nestling his penalty in the bottom right corner, leaving Souter unmoved.

Connor Bower had a glorious chance to equalise minutes later, but the Albion forward could only blaze high and wide despite having time and space inside the area.

After being given a let off, Brig started to up the ante, Darren Green stung the palms of Souter, before shortly after the hour, they extended their lead.

Souter made an excellent reflex save to deny Thompson, the latter blasted the rebound straight at the Ossett shot stopper but prodding home the loose ball from two yards was Linney, to score his first ever goal for the club.

Kieron Pickup was unlucky to see a shot go inches wide of the post and then with 15 minutes remaining, the home side put the game to bed.

In a neat passing move, Linney released Waddecar down the left, the tricky winger made his way into the area, crossing superbly leaving a simple finish for Vasey, who nodded in from three yards.

Late on, Linney almost grabbed a second but his ever rising shot went over and Green’s free-kick went wide of Souter’s left post.

In stoppage time, the visitors reduced the deficit as Brunt finished well nestling a shot in the bottom left corner after latching onto Bower’s through ball.

Brig now turn their attentions to Burscough, who they face at Victoria Park on Monday, kick off is 3pm.

Bamber Bridge: Dovey, Mahoney, Steel (Linney 42), Lawlor (c) (Reynolds 87), Muscat, Thompson, Waddecar, McKenna, Vasey, Green, Pickup

Subs not used: Alexander, Kay, Samberg (gk)

Attendance: 265

Referee: James Mainwaring