Super Ally leads way in away-day special

Ally Waddecar's freekick loops over the Warrington defenders and into the top corner
Ally Waddecar's freekick loops over the Warrington defenders and into the top corner
Share this article

Bamber Bridge bounced back to winning ways with a dominant victory over Warrington Town.

The tricky Ally Waddecar scored a brace of goals in the first half before Andy Bell added a third midway through the second half.

Neil Crowe’s side outplayed the Cantilever Park outfit for the majority of the game and the victory sees Brig sitting seventh in the Evo-Stik League Division One North.

Crowe was forced to make two changes from the side that was defeated by Darlington 1883.

Paul McKenna,and George Bowyer both missed out through injury so in came Bell and Phil Doughty.

Brig started the better of the two sides, Waddecar seeing a half-volley saved by Karl Wills and full-back Matt Mahoney’s goalbound shot was deflected out for a corner.

Prior to Mahoney’s shot, on-loan Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Harry Campbell was spared his blushes after his scuffed clearance landed at the feet of Ben Wharton but his shot drifted well wide from 30 yards.

Warrington should have taken the lead shortly after the 20-minute mark, a failed offside trap saw Wharton find himself in front of goal but he was denied by a superb challenge from Doughty.

Shortly after, Brig took the lead.

Waddecar was tripped on the far right of the penalty box and after picking himself up, he curled the ball into the area and a kind bounce saw it loop over the heads of the watching Warrington defenders and into the top left-hand corner.

Wharton was again denied after finding himself free inside the area as when he pulled the trigger, he saw his shot blocked by the diving body of Matt Lawlor.

Campbell was now dealing confidently with everything Warrington threw into the area and marshalling his back line well.

Nine minutes before the break, a fine team move saw Brig double their lead.

Wiles, Chris Marlow and Mahoney all linked up and the latter played through Waddecar who, from an acute angle, slotted the ball under the onrushing Wills.

The ever-reliable Lawlor saved his side once again minutes before the interval as he timed his sliding challenge to perfection to clear David Mannix’s shot off the line.

Warrington were on the attack from the off in the second half, and Scott Metcalfe saw his cross flash across the six-yard box rather than see a team-mate tap home.

Brig could easily have found themselves down to 10 men after Steel and Steve Tames clashed.

Tames left his foot in on the Brig full-back and after a coming together, Steel appeared to kick out at the Warrington No.9, but the assistant referee failed to spot it and both escaped without a card.

Keeper Wills then entered the referee’s notepad as he hauled Marlow down on the edge of box.

The Warrington keeper was in the action once again as he scrambled smartly across his goal to push a Wiles shot wide.

Long periods of the second half were evenly matched, until with just over 15 minutes remaining, Brig sealed the points.

Wiles pounced on a loose ball on the halfway line and waltzed his way past a host of yellow shirts before squaring the ball inside the area for Bell to finish into an empty net from three yards..

Crowe freshened his side up in the final stages introducing Paul Alexander, Kieran Pickup and Nathan Parish as Brig maintained possession.

Wills then pushed a Marlow shot wide of goal for a corner and from the resulting set-piece, Lawlor set his header go wide of the post.

Added time went by without any problems and Brig had banked another three points and completed a league double over Shaun Reid’s side.

Bamber Bridge: Campbell, Mahoney (Alexander 81) , Steel, Lawlor, Doughty, Kay, Wiles (Pickup 86), Vasey (Parish 85), Bell, Waddecar, Marlow. Sub not used: Dovey

Attendance: 312