Thompson bags a double in the battle of the Brigs

Curtis Thompson heads in unmarked at the back post
Curtis Thompson heads in unmarked at the back post
Share this article

Bamber Bridge won on the road for the first time in 2015 with a fine victory at Brighouse Town .

Neil Crowe’s side dominated for long stages in the game as they made it back-to-back victories in the Evo-Stik Division One North.

In an action-packed first half, the visitors took the lead after just seven minutes through Curtis Thompson.

And Thompson scored a second in the 31st minute before Brighouse pulled a goal back two minutes before the interval through Tyrone Gay.

Former Blackpool trainee Thompson could have rounded off a perfect first half but his penalty kick was saved by Jordan Porter.

Ally Waddecar rstored Brig’s two-goal advantage when the scoring in the 76th minute as he cooly converted Brig’s second spot kick of the match.

But Brighouse made things intersting again when winger Ryan Hall ensured a nervy finish as he prodded home from inside the box late on.

Brig started confidently at St Giles’ Park with skipper Matty Kay seeing a well-struck shot neatly turned around the post by Porter.

The visitors continued to have the better of the play and broke the deadlock when Simon Wiles found space down the left.

His deep cross evaded Porter and Gay and unmarked at the back post was Thompson, who had the easiest of headers from five yards.

Brig continued to dominate with Thompson rattling the crossbar from the edge of the box and Waddecar missing the target with a lobbed effort.

Shortly before the half-hour mark, Hall struck a shot into the side netting.

But as Town looked to get themselves back into the game, Brig doubled their lead.

Brighouse tried and failed to clear their lines, the ball ricocheted around in the area before it found its way to the lurking Thompson, and his drilled shot nestled in the bottom right-hand corner.

With five minutes remaining of the half and somewhat against the run of play, the home side pulled a goal back.

Hall and Ernest Boafo both saw shots well blocked before the ball found its way to sub Thomas Matthews on the left side of the area.

He pulled the ball back taking Lee Dovey out of the game and on hand was Gay who slid in from five yards.

Brig looked for an instant reply and when Steel hit a high ball into the box, Waddecar was taken out by the onrushing Porter as he looked to latch on to the ball.

Thompson had the duties of taking the spot-kick but his chances of a first-half

hat-trick were denied as Porter saved well, diving to his right.

Brig had a further chance before the interval but Steel could only shoot wide from two yards.

Early in the second half, Gay was required to clear a Waddecar shot off the line and full-back Adam Field volleyed over for Brighouse.

Hall then blazed over from five yards before James Hurtley saw yellow for a knee-high challenge on Waddecar.

Dovey was called into action on the hour mark and he saved well with his chest to deny Matthews.

Both sides continued to see plenty of the ball in the middle of the park and with just under 15 minutes left, a neat passing move saw Brig awarded a second spot-kick.

Paul McKenna and Waddecar exchanged passes on the edge of the box, the latter looked to play in Stu Vasey who was taken out by a sliding challenge from Danny Hull.

Waddecar made no mistake from the spot slotting into the left corner, sending keeper Porter the wrong way.

The visitors were flying and moments later Porter saved well diving low to his right to deny sub Kieron Pickup.

But Brighouse had the last say when Hall prodded home from inside the box.

Bamber Bridge: Dovey, Steel, Marlow, Lawlor, Doughty, Kay, Waddecar, McKenna, Green (Vasey 66), Thompson (Pickup 77), Wiles

Sub not used: Reynolds

Attendance: 135