Witton Albion 2-4 Bamber Bridge

Witton Albion vs. Bamber Bridge
Witton Albion vs. Bamber Bridge
Share this article

Rampant Bamber Bridge stormed to a superb away victory at Witton Albion.

Brig scored two goals in either half and thoroughly deserved their win on the road.

The visitors made a dreadful start to the game falling behind in the fifth minute, Chris Baker finishing well from inside the box.

Brett Ormerod drew the sides level in the 25th minute before Brig took the lead four minutes before the interval, centre-half Matt Lawlor heading home from six yards.

Early in the second half, Jamie Milligan put clear daylight between the two sides converting a spot kick after Regan Linney was tripped by goalkeeper Danny Roberts.

Linney, who was a thorn in the Witton side all night, grabbed a deserved goal in the 54th minute with a fine solo effort.

Alex Titchiner pulled a goal back for Witton with five minutes remaining but Brig held on to seal the points.

It was the hosts who had first sight on goal and with that they took the lead.

Front-man Titchiner broke from midfield at pace, he weaved his way past Matty Kay before playing through Baker and the hosts’ number 10 beat the onrushing Lee Dovey to the ball and arrowed his shot into the bottom left corner.

Titchiner was causing all sorts of problems for the Brig back-line and in the eighth minute he whistled a shot inches wide of the top corner.

Witton were well on top, they were playing at pace and taking advantage of Brig’s narrow formation.

A slight change of shape and somewhat against the run of play, Neil Crowe’s men drew themselves level in the 25th minute.

Linney found space on the right before cutting inside, he squared the ball to Kay who in turn played through Ormerod and the former Blackpool man executed his finish to perfection chipping the ball over Roberts.

Five minutes later, Dovey pulled off a smart save punching wide Anthony Gardner’s well struck effort.

Despite struggling for long periods of the half, the visitors took the lead with four minutes remaining and only their second effort on target.

After generously being awarded a free-kick for a shirt pull on Ormerod, Milligan, from the right, stepped up to whip a ball in at pace to find an unmarked Lawlor whose header went into the ground and over Roberts.

A fast start to the second half saw the visitors extended their lead in the 51st minute as referee Lindsey Roberston awarded a penalty after Linney was tripped by goalkeeper Roberts.

Milligan took the penalty and dispatched it confidently in the bottom right corner with Roberts going the same way.

Witton were clearly rattled, Brig had upped their intensity and three minutes later a fourth goal was added in superb fashion.

Linney turned Witton skipper Scott Lycett inside out and the young striker showed a cool head to nestle his shot in the bottom right corner from eight yards.

Albion looked to respond but Kyle Diskin’s free-kick was comfortable saved by Dovey.

The hosts continued to ask questions and both Lawlor and Glenn Steel were forced to make last ditch tackles.

Dovey saved a low Danny Andrews shot in the 69th minute and shortly after, Blackburn Rovers loanee Sam Joel was introduced at the expense of Ormerod.

In the 79th minute Witton should have reduced the deficit but an unmarked Lycett headed wide from a corner.

With five minutes remaining, Witton pulled a goal back after Brig sloppily gave away possession.

Joel opted to pass to Linney rather than the unmarked Milligan, Roberts scooped up the loose ball and released Joel Brownhill down the left.

The substitute made his way to the byline and crossed the ball handing the easiest of finishes for Titchiner.

Witton looked to rally but the final chance of the game fell to Brig, Joel drawing a smart save from Roberts in the 90th minute.

Bamber Bridge: Dovey, Hankin (Mahoney 83), Green, Lawlor, Steel, Kay (Vasey 88, McKenna (c), Milligan, Booth, Linney, Ormerod (Joel 71)

Subs not used: Alexander, Marlow

Witton Albion: Danny Roberts, Gardner, Green,Gary Roberts (Schofield 83), Lycett (c), Bainbridge (Mills 62), Dawson (Brownhill 62), Diskin, Titchiner, Baker, Andrews

Subs not used: Smith, Chadwick

Referee: Lindsey Robinson (Hebburn)

Attendance: 220