A brace from Myers means one point needed for title

Leyland and Chorley's Mark Swann celebrates his strike with team mate Simon Myers.
Leyland and Chorley's Mark Swann celebrates his strike with team mate Simon Myers.
Share this article

Table-toppers Leyland and Chorley men enjoyed a welcomed returned to form defeating lowly Blackpool seconds, with the victory leaving them just one point away from the league title.

Leyland didn’t have it all their own way against the strugglers but a brace from Simon Myers as well as goals from James Gallacher, Wayne Johnson and Mark Swann saw them run out 5-4 winners.

It now means this Saturday’s Barrington Sports Division Fourth North away trip to mid-table Lancaster and Morecambe could see the men secure a third successive league title.

Leyland started the game on the front foot, with Matthew Wilson and Myers showing good movement in a revamped attacking line.

Keith Gradwell and Andrew Dunn pressed down the flanks but in the opening stages Leyland struggled to break down a stubborn Blackpool.

Despite the home sides dominance, they suffered a sucker punch and fell behind after 15 minutes.

Terry Fredericks did his best to clear a cross but he could only deflect onto a stray Blackpool stick and into the goal.

The visitors doubled their lead as they capitalised on a Matt Evans error before Leyland hit back on the half hour as James Gallacher converted a Myers cross.

Leyland piled on the pressure and on the stroke of half-time their efforts were rewarded with an equaliser, as Swann found the roof of the net with a sublime flick.

The game encountered a short delay as the pitch was bombarded by hail stone.

After the short break Leyland took the lead, Gallacher rounded a static ‘keeper, despite being taken out, the ball dropped to Myers and he stroked the ball into an empty net.

Leyland were full of confidence and scored a fourth in the 50th minute, Myers converting a Wilson pass after smart build up from Gradwell and Dunn.

Blackpool controversially pulled a goal back on the hour, the ball appeared to go out of play, but it was missed by the officials and the visitors took advantage to put the ball into an empty net.

Leyland did not, however, seem deterred and the evergreen Mark Collier drove into the D leaving a simple tap in for Johnson.

In the final few seconds of the game, Blackpool scored a consolation goal but it was meaningless and all eyes will now be on Saturday’s trip to Lancaster.

The men’s second team recorded a much-needed win overcoming St Annes thirds 2-0.

The ladies first team return to action this Saturday as they travel to East Lancashire to take on Clitheroe and Blackburn Northern thirds.