New boy Myers soon gets into the scoring routine

Nick Dunn
Nick Dunn
Share this article

Table-toppers Leyland and Chorley men returned to winning ways as they thrashed Lancaster and Morecambe 3rds 10-2.

They had drawn their previous two fixtures but ran out comfortable winners to take a four-point lead in the Barrington Sports North West Hockey League Division Five North.

Leyland and Chorley started brightly and forced several short corners.

But even with a new routine, they still failed to find the back of the net.

However after 15 minutes ,the deadlock was broken after a short corner routine went to plan .

A Nick Dunn shot was parried and Iain Lindsay was on hand to bag his first of the season.

But the table-toppers didn’t have it all their own way and Lancaster found an equaliser in the 25th minute.

Leyland and Chorley responded by changing to a

3-4-3 formation.

And it proved to be instant success as Tim Button intercepted midway in the Lancaster half and unleashed an unstoppable strike.

Despite leading at half-time, Leyland and Chorley were clearly frustrated by their performance.

James Gallacher was moved into midfield and his intervention prevented a number of Lancaster attacks.

Keith Gradwell missed a glorious opportunity in the 40th minute. After rounding the keeper, Gradwell smashed an effort but could only find the nearby football goals.

However, the third goal came shortly afterwards as Button grabbed his second by converting a short corner.

It would soon be 4-1 as

Simon Myers danced through the Lancaster defence to score his first goal for the club.

The home side were sinking without trace and Myers took advantage as he bagged further three goals in quick succession.

Leyland and Chorley had to play the final 10 minutes with 10 men as Gradwell lost his temper following a controversial umpiring decision.

But they continued to push and Andy Hey joined the party before Nick Dunn grabbed his seventh of the season.

Lancaster did hit back with a goal of their own but Leyland and Chorley had the final say as Craig Wilson netted at the back post.

n The men’s second team defeated Keswick 3-0 in torrid conditions.

Despite surface water the game went ahead and after one minute they took the lead.

Birthday boy Adam Thornton latched on to a through ball to steer it home.

Both teams struggled to gain any momentum with the conditions playing their part.

Adrian Thornton then used all his experience to make it 2-0 before Harry Bevan made it 3-0.

Ten minutes into the second half the umpires abandoned the game due to the conditions but the result stands.

n The Ladies first team defeated Lancaster and Morecambe 4-0. Two goals from Sarah Maycock along with strikes from Nicola Wallbank and the prolific Raelene Strickland sealed a hard-fought victory meaning they will now take their place in the semi-final of the cup.