Ormskirk prove to be the one side leaders can’t beat

Craig Wilson  battling for the ball
Craig Wilson battling for the ball
Share this article

Bogey team Ormskirk took points off Leyland and Chorley for the second time this season.

Earlier in the Barrington Sports North West Division Four North season, the table-toppers drew 3-3 in a fiery


And again the Merseysiders proved to be a real thorn in the L&C side as they left Buckshaw Village with all three points.

Mark Swann scored late on for Leyland but the damage was already done as the visitors scored a goal in either half.

Despite the defeat, Leyland and Chorley still hold a 14-point lead at the top of the table.

The bad-tempered nature of the first game was evident again in a match lacking in quality, with all the goals coming by way of short corners.

Leyland and Chorley almost broke the deadlock after just 30 seconds when a cross-field ball deflected off the umpire foot and into Matt Wilson’s path, but his strike flashed past the far post when a square ball to Craig Wilson could have been the better


What followed was a turgid affair with two passionate and determined midfields unable to break each other down.

Any attacks were generally dealt with by the opposing defence.

Ormskirk eventually broke the deadlock with their first meaningful strike on goal, as a well-struck short corner effort deflected in.

The second half followed the same script.

An unproductive early attacking flurry from the home team followed by a tough midfield battle.

At 1-0, the game could still have gone either way.

But as tempers continued to rise, another goal from an Ormskirk short corner doubled their lead.

Frustration rose, and the yellow cards came out, firstly for Gary Swann after a powerful late challenge and then minutes later for Marcus Unsworth of Ormskirk following a series of poor challenges on Dave Rimmer.

With less than five minutes to go, L&C eventually profited from a short corner with Mark Swann finding the goal.

A small amount of belief returned but a late attacking charge was not able to rescue a point.

n Leyland and Chorley Ladies second team lost out 2-0 in a hard-fought battle against Lytham St Annes thirds.

Lytham started strongly with two short corners and although L&C repelled those, they still fell behind as keeper Savannah Wilding was beaten.

Leyland then rattled the post from a short corner before Lytham raced into the Leyland D and piled pressure on defenders Claire Musgrave, Kathryn Turner and Anita Dickson.

Leyland and Chorley had bright spells in the second half but they couldn’t net.

Wilding continued to make the saves but she was beaten with minutes to go as the ball snuck under her body.